Labels

Monday, November 13, 2006

Aterciopelados at Slims in SF


So I've waited about 5 years to see them in SF. Check out their myspace page for more info. These guys are an alternative rock group from Columbia that someone turned me onto a few years ago. I was complaining that I get SO tired of that crappy NorteƱo stuff you hear from the pickups driving by with the big cow head on the door. You know what I'm talking about if you live in SF or LA. The ompha-ompha of the tubas and the damn squeaky accordions just suck ass. These guys do use traditional instruments sometimes but they grind it out with rocking guitars and pounding drums mostly.


Sunday night's show at Slims didn't exactly tear the place up but it wasn't at all what I had expected. I had thought it would be a post punk noise fest with lots of moshing young latinos (like at the Cafe Tacuba shows I've seen). Turns out the place was filled with mid 30 hipsters and Euro trash with lots of scarves and corduroy everywhere. The show started off a bit slow but picked up as they worked their way through the hits and new material from their new album, "Oye" It was great to put faces to the music and the fans and I hope to catch them again if possible. I think they were playing in LA with Los Enantios Verdes recently but missed the show by a week. Now if only Sara Valenzuela will tour in the US! If you want to check out more Latino Rock and have iTunes do a search for "Latin Alternative Essentials"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Mat!

Wish I could have been there - looks great!

It was fantastic to see you this past weekend - make sure you come up here sooooon!!

Craig (and Alison!)

Black Sheep Girl said...

The pants are the best.

http://youareastone.blogspot.com/

Word.