Labels

Monday, September 29, 2008

Istanbul Wrap Up

So it's been a bit of time and I've shaken off the jet lag and am back at work. Things seem normal but there are those little things that you soak in that change the way you see the world. I went into my favorite little Gyro joint Friday night before the awesome Porchlight Litquake show and finally noticed the posters of Turkey on the walls; the Ataturk bridge, Ephesus... and began thinking that I had been coming here for years and never seen them, never had any reference point.


The guy behind the register had that Turkish B.O. smell that seemed to be the national odor, and I asked him where he was from. "I am Kurdish" he says, "but was born in Turkey" Not sure what that means. Can I say, "I'm English but was born in the U.S."? No, I didn't think so.

Then there was the cobble stone street last night and my mind flashed back to all those amazing little back alleys and those humid afternoons tromping over 1000 year old streets. So much history and culture and conflict. Who hasn't tried to own that place.

I was wondering if two weeks was a good amount of time to visit one city, too much or too little, but it seemed like a good relaxing clip to see not only the big stuff but to enjoy the small sites and hang out with old friends. It was just right. What a great trip. If you are headed that way let me know and I'll give you the low down on where to go and what to see.

(BTW, the photo above was from the amazing Cemberlitas Turkish Bath / Hamam, a must see that I visited on my last day)

No comments: