Labels

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tokyo Scooters

So of course the whole time I'm in Japan I'm looking around to check out the different types of home market motorcycles and scooters they have that I’ve only ever seen in pictures. They have all kinds of crazy stuff (which I’ll write more about later) but what I didn't expect at all, that was all the rage there, are these tricked out scooters. And by scooters I don't mean little 150cc putt-putts. I’m talking about the new wave of big scooters that are just starting to make their way to the states. Big 400cc to 650cc “beasts” that's engines originated in sportbikes. They were typically running some type of almost open pipe with a big chrome and carbon fiber canister barely quieting the two cylinders screaming away. They have chrome pull back bars and mirrors and diamond plate floor boards instead of rubber mats. The guys riding them were these Yakuza types with their tight black suits, white shirts and big 80s Bon Jovi hair.





Check out this one above for example. He’s polished the wheels or maybe had custom ones made (not sure), monster rear tire, lowered it, custom wind screen and headlight covers, diamond plate floor boards, custom stereo with 8 speakers, LCD screen near the instruments (GPS or ?), chrome pull back handlebars, chrome mirrors, chrome lower fork tubes, dual exhaust, maybe a blower or turbo on the rear I couldn’t tell, chrome engine covers, another LCD panel doing something above the rear license plate, clear brake light lenses, big loud straight pipe and some flag hanging off the rear end. It also didn't seem to be using a kickstand (I think I see one in the photo on the left side tucked in) and was so low that it seemed to be resting on the ground so it must have some kind of air suspension. Sweet!

This other one below wasn’t as tricked out but it had an amazing tuck and roll, white patent leather seat, usual loud pipe and chrome bars and mirrors. So fashionistas, get ahead of the curve and get your scooter sorted out before the fad gets here. Personally I’d want like a hundred mirrors hanging off the front of mine and custom chrome body work.



No comments: