Labels

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Yuba River 2007

I've been feeling more and more daring the last several months and took another chance this past weekend. I know this might seem silly but I am so pragmatic and it is hard for me to change when what I have been doing works. So this is the story. It is that time of year for me to venture out into "nature" and was planning my usual trip to the Yuba River for some R & R. As it turns out, I was chatting to an (ex) co-worker at the Current party and he grew up in Nevada City within walking distance of the Yuba River. He told me he was planning on going there the same weekend I was and would show me the spots only the locals know about (if I promised not to tell anyone). I tried to stitch a photo together (below) so you should get a good idea of where we spent most of our time. The rapid on the right had a granite shelf right under it which made it ideal for lounging.


So he was right. Robert and I ended up in driving right to a trailhead that was a nice flat walk to an amazing campsite. Even better was the swimming. Larger, more dramatic pools of water, deeper and SO many fish. It was so great. It just feels good to try new things have have them turn out so well. I think they call it positive reinforcement. I guess I still haven't gotten out of my old habits enough to actually buy a pack made this decade. I supposed I should at some point but my old external frame dinosaur keeps working so why fix it.


We did make one friend when we were up there. We called him Snakey (see below lower right) I usually bring my swimming goggles with as well so I get to see all of the snakes and fish swimming around on the bottom too.


Here's a typical shot of the river and our camp. It turned out to be exceptionally clear and warm over the weekend so we had quite a night of star gazing and lots of shooting stars. We might be headed up one more time this season so if you want to come with let me know.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Looks like a sweet trip and glad to hear it went so well! Awesome pics