Labels

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Riding the Pampas Couch



Still thinking about Ben buying theNorton and riding to Tierra del Fuego. Yeah, I struggle with this dilemma all the time.  I've got the golden handcuffs for sure.  Seriously, I think of dropping everything and taking off to see the world everyday.  I know that the right thing to do is live life everyday without regret but damn they keep throwing money at me like crazy so I keep showing up.  What is the balance between working and playing?  I’ve never been able to find it.  Lately it always seems that I am working too much and on the very rare occasion it seems like I’m only playing. 

The way I finally came to grips with this was I was sitting in traffic going to work one day, and looking around me, I realized that everyone was doing the same thing I was, going to work.  That that is the normal thing, people go to work everyday. The weird thing is for people not have 9 to 5 jobs - doesn't make it right but it is how it is.  So I need to find a balance because I can'tjust work and I can't just play.  Back in 1993 when I was living in Argentina, that is what made me come back.  I felt so guilty at some point that I wasn't being responsible and building a career.  And that was one of the best times of my life.  But it was also the far other end of the scale. 

I guess the answer is to make playing your work.  Until that happens, I figure I keep sacking away the cash and, according to my plan, I should be able to quit a regular job in 4 to 6 years.  After that, I'll just need to work enough to pay for where ever I'm living at the time.  Might be plush suite on the Riviera or might be a VW van in the desert.  Might be on a motorcycle on the Pampas.

Wish I were going on a long ride….

No comments: