Labels

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hedwig and the Angry Inch


I would guess that he’s about 6 foot tall, close to 200 pounds, cut arms, old school tats all over, wearing a magenta front zip mini skirt, black studded leather cod piece and thigh high white patent leather boots with 4 inch fuck me heels.

I’m trying to describe Hedwig from tonight’s show at the 12 Galaxies, “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”. If you haven’t seen the show or movie it is the story of an East German man who wants to come to the US so badly that he marries a US military officer and gets a sex change operation. Well the operation goes poorly and all he’s left with is an “angry inch”. Yeah, I get guy sympathy pains just writing about it. We then follow Hedwig as he finds a place for himself in the US and falls in love with a young military brat that he mentors and transforms into a rock star, Tommy Gnosis. It is not a complicated story; a person desperately looking for his other half, to complete himself, and in the end realizes that he was whole all along.

I saw the movie some time ago and have been waiting to catch the theater version for some time. Well I got my chance as I saw an ad today in the local weekly that it was playing a couple blocks away from me, tonight.

As some of you know, I got freakishly addicted to the soundtrack. I listened to it at least a dozen times a day for about 3 to 4 months straight. I am not exaggerating here. Straight up. I was really being to wonder if there was something wrong with me.

Anyway, the show didn’t disappoint. It was more explicit than the movie version and had a nice raw edge and energy. Lots of gender confusing costumes and Rock and Roll. So a few vodka and grapefruit juices into it, I was singing along with all the other freaks and losers there.

A night enjoyed by all.

No comments: