Labels

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Southwest Road trip: Day 4

Perfect weather in Tucson. It’s warm with a light breeze and partially cloudy. I guess this is why the population doubles down here in the winter. I have to keep reminding myself that it is 120 in the summer (but it’s a dry heat).

Ken took Tuesday and Wednesday off so we took the bikes out for a sweet ride today and he let me try his vintage 1971 Triumph Tiger. We headed due west out Speedway Blvd. through scenic Gate’s Pass and into Saguaro National Forest. So breathtaking. I’ve never been a fan of the desert but after this trip and today I will be more appreciative and grateful. The stubtle desert fall colors were coming in, lots of yellows and reds, with the backdrop of greens and browns.

As for Ken’s Triumph, that little Tiger really hauls for being 35 years old. It must have been a terror in its day. Ken has spent the last 3 years sorting it out, respraying it to its original colors, rechroming and powder coating things. It must look just as good as when he bought it 30 years ago. So many people would stop and ask us what model it was, year…



After our ride, we stopped by Pat's Drive In for some famous chili dogs and a coke. Famous for what? I HAVE to assume I was there on a bad day as this wasn’t even as good as my crummy nightly dog and chili specials from Cala. This place has been around for 40 years and there is no way that they did that serving the incredibly average meal I had. I saw the Sysco truck backing in as I was leaving and could only assume that what I had just had was dropped on a plate and nuked seconds after the "homemade and authentic" tub of processed chili food and the “just like mom used to make” 1000 count pack of hotdogs were opened. Pat, if you are reading this, please, please, get better soon and run out those awful imposters (or shut your doors). This is hurting me, literally…

For more photos check out the link below
Roadtrip day 4

1 comment:

cjh said...

Dude, what the fuck . Who reads this shit? You're really going to tiajuana, aren't you ? Aren't you?