Labels

Monday, January 15, 2007

First Few Days in London

The jet lag is finally wearing off and I’m sleeping the whole night, if you call waking up at 6 AM a whole night. I arrived uneventfully into Heathrow around 11 AM Wednesday the 10th. Fiona picked me up at the airport and we headed back to her flat in her VW Polo (why don’t they bring these cool little cars to the US?). Having not slept on the flight, I powered through the following few days drinking 4 Red Bulls and some caffeine gum per day. Basically, forcing myself to stay awake as long as I could stand it and then collapsing into a fleshy imperialistic lump.

The job seems to be coming together slowly. I found my way to the main office eventually and started setting up my gear. They move at a different pace here and I found myself trying to be patient as the power and internet circuits were turned up. It also didn’t help that I was so hopped up on caffeine that I could see through time but when in London

I took the weekend off to take a short trip to Brighton with Fiona and her 11 year old son Josh. He competed in a regional swim meet there and then we spent the rest of the drizzly cloudy afternoon enjoying the beach, town and some wonderful Haddock and Cod fish and chips.

Sunday we slept in a bit (finally) and enjoyed the clear blue skies and crisp morning air. We visited the Columbia Road Flower market and eventually hooked up with my co-worker who is here helping setup also.

We all met up at Spitafields Open Air Market, had a nice lunch, did some shopping and then walked back through town to see the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Tate Modern, House of Parliament and Big Ben.

2 comments:

Ducksense said...

Glad you are doing well in Foggy London Town. I checked in to see how you are faring in the horrible storms that I know must be pelting you now. Hope you are okay.

Anonymous said...

Fantastico my friend - glad tat you are aving a good time over there - sounds like the right mission to be on for sure.

Things are craxy busy here but wanting to follow up on some of our previous conversations and do some stuff with you guys someday soon!

Let me know when you are coming to vancouver to do the same - all the best and hoping that you have a great trip over there. Make usure you have a beer for me in some really tucked away pub that you find by chance...

Craig N