Labels

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Leaving London

It has been a whirlwind week or so but Monday I'm headed back to the States. Sorry no pics since the last post but between all the long work days I did manage to get out a couple of nights while I was here.


On Tuesday, I went out with a co-worker and a group of his friends to catch a local Elvis impersonator, Lou Jordon.

There is something really weird about being in a smoke filled London basement bar and watching some guy pretend to be Elvis Presley. The audience was shouting for all his famous songs which everyone sang and danced too. I always forget how much influence the US has over Pop Culture until I see something like this. BTW, he had a newer jumpsuit than in the photo. It was white still but covered with sequins in the shape of flames.



Then on Thursday I saw Don Johnson in Guys and Dolls at the Piccadilly Theater in the West End. Fiona had gotten a deal on these tickets and I've always been told that when in London, go see a Broadway show so... I really wasn't expecting too much but was surprised how much I enjoyed the production. The dancing was excellent and the singing good. Don, not so much but it was fun to watch him out there trying to hoof it. The weird part was that they had the actors trying to these awful New York / Brooklyn accents that made the dialog very un-natural. Don kept coming in and out of his accent which was hilarious. It was as if English was a second language to them (which is another discussion altogether) but all in all it was fine.

No comments: